Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Zucchini Fritters




I found this recipe in Family Circle magazine and tried it out Sunday night.  I was really pleased with the results.  This recipe does include flour, and the fritters are fried in oil.  I followed the recipe in the magazine, but I am sure you could sub another type of flour and maybe try baking them.  Let me know how they turn out if you try them with modifications.

1 container (6 oz) 2% Greek yogurt (I used 0% because I couldn't find the 2%)
2 Tsp lime juice
1 Tsp lime zest
1/4 Tsp salt
In a small bowl mix yogurt, lime juice, lime zest and salt until smooth.  Set aside, this is your "dip/dressing."
I really liked this and feel like it definitely added to the fritters.  In fact, I like it so much I might try using it as a marinade for chicken breasts later this week.

1.5 pounds zucchini, shredded
2/3 Cup sliced scallions
1/2 Cup cilantro, chopped
1 egg yolk, beaten
1/3 Cup all purpose flour
1/2 Tsp pepper
1 Tsp salt
1/4 Cup canola oil (I used olive oil)

Heat oven to 200 degrees.

Squeeze shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel until most of the moisture is absorbed. (I think you might need 2 kitchen towels, the zucchini was very wet and probably could have used more squeezing than I did). In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, scallions, cilantro, egg, flour, salt, and pepper.


Heat 2 Tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat in a large pan.  When shimmering, add zucchini mixture in four 1/4 cup portions.  Flatten with a spatula until they are 3 inches in diameter.  Cook fritters 3 minutes until browned, then flip and cook another 3 minutes.  Transfer fritters to a baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm.  Continue cooking fritters, adding 1 more Tbsp oil each time.  Serve with lime yogurt dip/dressing.

Supposedly the recipe makes 12 fritters, I only got 10 total.  My husband tried them and said he thought they would be better if they were crispier.  Not sure how to make that happen unless maybe squeezing more water out would help.

Here is the nutrition information per fritter:
79 Calories
5 g Fat
3 g Protein
6 g Carb
1 g Fiber
254 mg Sodium
18 mg Cholesterol

No comments:

Post a Comment