Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Meatless Mediterranean Pasta with Zucchini

On the left side is the sauce; on the right is after the pasta is added


Do you ever try and have "meatless Mondays" at your house?  Or meatless any day?  With a house full of "men", I am constantly reminded that "men eat meat".  So honestly, I can't think of one dinner we have had in the last 3 years that didn't include meat.  Even when we were eating breakfast for dinner, there was meat.  I would really like to institute a meat free dinner at least one night a week.  It would be easier on the budget and definitely good for us.  However I am not prepared for mutiny just yet.  Give me a few more months of T25 workouts and I just might be strong enough to fend off the mutiny!  Here is the recipe from my previous post about planning and prepping on Sundays.  It is meatless, and I took it for my lunch because - well "men eat meat!"

8 ounces whole wheat penne or ziti pasta, uncooked
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained
1 zucchini sliced
2 T sliced ripe olives

Cook pasta according to package directions omitting salt and butter/oil.  While pasta cooks, combine tomatoes and remaining 3 ingredients in a large skillet; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.  Spoon tomato mixture over drained pasta.  Serves 4 (2 cup servings)

You can get away with less pasta if you don't want the carbs.  Also, you could omit the pasta all together and use the sauce over chicken or fish if you must have the meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment