Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Stuffed Eggplant

The Farmer's Market this week was a score with eggplant, green beans, corn and tomatoes.  I had been wanting to try a new recipe with eggplant and I had it narrowed down to the eggplant lasagna and the stuffed eggplant.  The stuffed eggplant won out as it seemed a little bit healthier and easier.

Who says you can't have fun with your food?

 Eggplants are from the nightshade family and related to the tomato, potato, and bell pepper.  You can find them year round but they are in peak season from August to October.  Although there are several varieties of eggplant, most have a slightly bitter taste and spongy texture.  It can be baked, roasted, or steamed and eaten with or without the skin.  Eggplant is a good source of dietary fiber, vitamins K, C, and B6, as well as niacin and folate.  For about 20 calories a cup, it is a good nutritional deal.

Stuffed Eggplant Recipe (Taken from the Blog: Beth's Journey)

1 medium eggplant
1/2 large onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic
1 shallot
1/2 cup white beans (or other beans)
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 oz part-skim mozzarella
salt and pepper



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut eggplant in half lengthwise.  You can leave the stem on if you want.  I cut the stem off, but when it came time to fill the shells, there was nothing there to hold the filling in.  You will see what I mean in the picture. Next, score the eggplant diagonally about 1/4 inch from the sides.  Score the other way and then remove the cubes from the shell leaving the shell hollow.  Do this for both halves.  

 Bake the eggplant shells for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling.  Heat a pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat.  Add the onion, and cook until translucent (about 4 minutes).  Add the celery, garlic, shallot and eggplant cubes and cook covered for 10 minutes.  Stir in the beans.  Remove the shells from the oven and divide the mixture evenly between the 2 halves.
I had to put them end to end to keep the filling inside.
 Top the stuffed eggplant with half the cheese and half the panko crumbs.  Season with the salt and pepper.


Place back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.  Turn the temperature up to 425 degrees and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the top is browned.


This was a very filling meal.  I had it for lunch 2 days in a row.  I'm not crazy about the flavor, it seemed a little bland to me and I wonder if I did something wrong.  Next time I could possibly use some more seasonings to enhance the flavor.  It might also be good with a home made or low sugar marinara.  I think for my next eggplant adventure, I will try the lasagna.  









No comments:

Post a Comment